- Meet our local guide and pick up your car
Upon arrival in El Calafate, you’ll meet our local guide who will brief and share all the information you need for your trip. Then you’ll pick up your car and start your Patagonia self-drive experience driving to the famous village of El Chaltén.
- Drive to El Chaltén
You will travel along the famous Route 40 from El Calafate to El Chaltén, surrounded by the Patagonian steppe, pass through La Leona River, which connects Lake Argentino and Lake Viedma and stands La Leona Roadhouse where the famous thieves Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid hid for a while. We recommend that you make a stop in La Leona so you can enjoy the bar and see the historical center.
Directions for today:
- Take Provincial Route 11 from the airport and continue along this Provincial Route up to the intersection with National Route 40.
- Turn left onto National Route 40 towards El Chaltén.
- Drive north along NR 40 for about 95 km.
- Turn right onto Provincial Route 23 towards El Chaltén (about 80 km).
This road adventure will take you to travel along 200 km of paved road and for 3 hours.