Easy hikes can be found all over Patagonia. There are so many destinations to visit that can be difficult to navigate through without the proper guidance. Read this article and find which easy hike trail you can take in each destination of Patagonia Argentina and Chile, and feel 100% alive!
1. Beginner hikes for everyone
We call beginner hikes to every hiking trail whose difficulty is low enough for adults and children to take it. However, not all beginner hikes feature the same challenges. And that is great! Because people dismiss beginner hikes thinking they won’t find spectacular landscapes, and that is not true. In a low-difficulty hike, you can walk through a forest and flat trail but also a steeper path and even kind of climbing one rock or two.
Patagonia whether you are visiting Argentina or Chile is the best example of beginner hikes for everyone. Main hiking destinations in Patagonia include Glaciers National Park in El Calafate and El Chaltén, Tierra del Fuego National Park in Ushuaia, Nahuel Huapi National Park in Bariloche, and Torres del Paine National Park in Chile.
Each of these destinations features famous hiking trails with amazing views. Keep reading and learn which ones you can find in each region of Patagonia.
2. Easy hiking trails near me
If you are planning to travel and visit Argentina you will probably land at the international airport of Buenos Aires. From there you can easily take a flight to El Calafate but not El Chaltén where only land transportation is available. Bariloche and Ushuaia feature own airports. Finally, Torres del Paine can be reached only by land too from Puerto Natales airport.
Once you have reached the hiking destination of your choice, find out which are the easy hiking trails near you. Here you have some to start!
This is quite a big village which has grown a lot over the past years. The main reason to visit El Calafate is to travel to Glaciares National Park to see the Perito Moreno Glacier. From the city, it is a short drive to the park. Once there you can follow the catwalks and enjoy the views of the glacier. Or book the amazing tour to walk over the glaciers! Although most activities concentrate on this park, there are short walks you can take from the city too, like the circuit of Laguna Nimez. In this natural reserve, you will spot many of the native bird species of the area. The best trip to find these easy hikes is El Calafate and the Glaciers.
Easy hikes near me in El Calafate
- Catwalks of Perito Moreno, this is more a walk than a hike but it can take one hour to visit to complete the whole circuit. Plus, amazing views are guaranteed! It is also chair wheel accessible.
- Mini trekking over the glacier, a hike through a forest to reach the base of the glacier, and start walking on the white soil. It is a group hike and the rhythm is rather slow. There is only an age restriction (from 8 to 65).
- Laguna Nimez is a natural reserve coasting the Argentino Lakes. A flat walk to see flamingos and swans.
You can find all kinds of hikes in El Chaltén since it is the hiking capital of Argentina. Though it managed to remain quite small, visitors come in bigger numbers every year. This is because it is practically possible to start a hike from downtown. And these hikes will be the easiest to take if you are a beginner.
Easy hikes near me in El Chaltén
- El Chorrillo del Salto, a tranquil walk through a forest to reach a hidden fall. A one-hour round hike.
- Cerro Torre Viewpoint is also a 1-hour hike to see the Torre Mountain, Río Las Vueltas and spot birds, like the woodpecker.
The capital of the lake district in Argentina is famous to be the adventure capital of the country! This is the perfect place to find easy hikes and enjoy the spectacular views of Nahuel Huapi Lake. This is the biggest in the region but not the only one, there are many more to discover. Easy hikes in Bariloche can truly be in spectacular places only reachable by short navigations.
Easy hikes near me in Bariloche
- Isla Victoria and Bosque de Arrayanes is a walk through a fairy-tale wood of a rare tree, the Arrayán. This hike includes navigation to Isla Victoria where these trees are endemic.
- Puerto Blest is another hidden spot you can reach by short navigation. Once in Puerto Blest, you can hike among native woods, reach viewpoints and discover a great fall and a monumental cherry tree.
This legendary province in Tierra del Fuego is the Argentine gateway to Antarctica. It is also the port from which many antarctic cruises depart each year. But talking about hiking trails, there is the Tierra del Fuego National Park, a must-see natural reserve if you want to discover the landscapes at the end of the world. The park can be visited in many ways, and there are some easy walks you can take.
Easy hikes near me in Ushuaia
- Bahía La Pataia inside Tierra del Fuego National Park. This is literally the last piece of land of the park before the Beagle Channel and the Chilean border. Prepare to spot rainbows and wild bunnies.
Torres del Paine, Chile
Torres del Paine is one of the biggest protected natural reserves in the world. And the destination on every hiker’s bucket list. The park can be visited on foot, on a boat and on horseback riding. There are few places to stay inside, one hotel and a couple of refuges. Also, a magic place to go glamping! No matter where you stay, hiking trails are nearby. The most famous trails are part of the W Circuit, a 5-day hiking and camping travel experience to visit half of the park. However, there are many other easy hike options to explore!
Easy hikes near me in Torres del Paine
- Nordenskjöld Lake is a beautiful 1 h 30 min hike to the coast of this amazing lake inside the park.
- Mirador de Cuernos is a 2-hour round trip hike really easy for any age. It starts from Peohué and ends at Salto Grande waterfall.
- Fauna trail, an easy hike to spot native wildlife like guanacos! It goes from one entrance of the park to another, Porteria Sarmiento Lake and Portería Amarga Lagoon.
3. Need help planning your hiking trip?
There are much more places to see in Patagonia and trips to enjoy or read about more hiking experiences on our Hiking Patagonia special page. Take a look and if you don’t find what you’re looking for, contact us. We specialized in tailor-made experiences!