Vacation with pets is an incredible experience, nothing new for pet lovers! There is nothing more beautiful than traveling with them, enjoying incredible landscapes, and living amazing moments together. South America is a good destination choice because it offers a wide variety of pet-friendly activities, many restaurants to eat with your pet, and lots of fun! If you would like to go on a trip with your fur friend, this article is what you need. We will tell you the requirements to enter Chile and Argentina with pets, and a long list of things you can do together!
1. Travel requirements to enjoy vacations with pets
These are the points to take into consideration in case you are on vacation with pets to Argentina:
- If you are traveling with cats or dogs over three months of age, they must have been vaccinated against rabies between 30 days and 12 months before arriving in Argentina.
- Also, the vet from their country must complete the Argentine Veterinary Certificate issued by the official authority of the country of origin. This certificate must be written or translated into Spanish and it must have owner identification, animal identification, country of origin and destination, and include a copy of the rabies vaccine certificate. Also, it must guarantee that the pet was examined within ten days before embarkation, showing no clinical signs of diseases typical of the species.
- If you are traveling by plane, the airlines must tell the Argentine airport authorities about the animal´s arrival at least 24 hours before arrival, so you should remind the airline 48 hours before the flight that you are traveling with your pet.
- Each animal that has to travel in a container must have enough space to turn about normally while standing, stand, sit erect, and lie in a natural position. It also needs a proper ventilation system, and the floor must be solid and leakproof.
- If you are traveling with other pets like birds, reptiles, rabbits, and others, they will not need an anti-rabies certificate, but they will need to have a health certificate and meet other requirements.
These are the points to take into consideration in case you want to enjoy a trip to Chile with your pet:
- If you are going on vacation with dogs, cats, or ferrets you must present a health certificate, issued by the official health authority of the country of origin. It must be in Spanish and in the official language of the country where you come from. It must include the owner’s and pet´s personal information and the address where they will stay in Chile.
- The animal must have a clinical examination within 10 days before arrival that guarantees the pet was examined, showing that the animal is free from infectious diseases.
- The animal must be vaccinated against rabies at least one month and a maximum of 12 months before departure, or they can do a test for antibodies against the rabies virus, between three and 24 months before the trip.
- The animal received an external and internal deworming of broad-spectrum within 30 days before departure.
- If the pet is less than 60 days old, they don’t need proof of rabies vaccination, but they will need a certificate of evaluation of neutralizing antibodies against the rabies virus.
2. Pet-friendly destinations in Argentina
Vacation with pets in Buenos Aires is nothing but fun! You will find Las Mascotas Park, an exclusive park for pets where going on vacation with your dog will be a funny experience because they can run around spaces demarcated by safety fences and enjoy lots of areas equipped for animals. Also, in Bosques de Palermo or Costanera Sur pets can join nature, such as flora, forests, lakes, and extensive open-air corridors with green spaces around them.
Trek in Cerro Campanario with your dog and enjoy one of the most beautiful views of Bariloche. Also, the restaurant is pet friendly and allows dogs inside. If your dog likes to play with snow, the base of Cerro Catedral is a perfect pet-friendly idea! And in Bariloche, there are plenty of options for pet-friendly beaches such as Playa Bonita, Bahía Serena, Playa del Viento, and much more!
In Mendoza, Parque Central is one of the favorite places for pets because there is an exclusive area for them, which has crawling tubes, platforms, ups and downs, and bridges for them to have fun. Also, General San Martín Park, surrounded by trees and an incredible lake, makes it an ideal place to spend a nice afternoon with your furry companions. Independencia Square is also another pet-friendly option.
The Devil’s Throat in Tilcara is a nice place to trek with your pets and enjoy incredible landscapes. Also, Cuevas del Waira is ideal for adventurers who want to go on vacation with pets. Of course, Paseo de Los Colorados has one of the most incredible views of red earth and the colors of Purmamarca hills, where you can go with your pet by walking or by car.
3. Pet-friendly destinations in Chile
Santiago de Chile
Santiago is full of pet-friendly parks where all pets will feel comfortable and will have a great time. For example, Monseñor Escriva de Balaguer Park by the Mapocho River has many green spaces and rest areas. Also, Brazil Square, Padre Renato Fluvial Park, and Forestal Park are great options for pets to explore and have fun.
Viña del Mar
Vacation with pets and shopping malls, is it possible? The answer is “in Chile, yes!”. If you like to go shopping, in Viña del Mar you will find the Mall Marina which is perfect to go with your pet. This pet-friendly shopping mall awaits you with its cleaning station to go around without disturbing anyone.
Los Lagos Region awaits you and your pet to have fun together! You can stay in accommodations with dreamlike views of Lake Llanquihue and enjoy incredible moments with your pet!
This destination has pet-friendly options for pets who enjoy the beach! In Concón, La Boca Beach is an excellent option to have fun with our four-legged friends, and also near it, we can find several restaurants and pet-friendly accommodations.
4. Is there pet-friendly accommodation?
A trip with your pets can be challenging in terms of finding accommodation too. However, in both countries, there are different alternatives for pet-friendly lodgings. Options fit all budgets and provide comfort for our furry friends.
- Aguila Mora
- Charming Lodge
- NH Bariloche Edelweiss
- Faena Hotel
- Algodon Mansion Hotel
- Alvear Art Hotel
- Dazzler Palermo
- Hotel Park Hyatt Mendoza Hotel, Casino & Spa
Santiago de Chile
- Plaza Park Apartments
- Cumbres Apart
- Hotel Fauna
If your destination is not on the list, you can ask our travel advisors for more information.
5. Can I go to a restaurant with my pets?
If you wonder if you can go to a restaurant with your pet, let me tell you that the answer is yes! Both in Argentina and Chile, we find several options to do it. Read about them:
- La Marmite, Mitre 329
- Ciudad Jardín, Av. Exequiel Bustillo 13920
- Malloy´s Bar, Sebastián Elcano 1718
- Museo Evita Restaurant, Juan María Gutiérrez 3926
- Café Croque Madame, find it at many museums in the city
- El Mercadito Friendly & Fresh, Av. Arístides Villanueva 521
- Chachingo Craft Beer, Av. Arístides Villanueva 383
Santiago de Chile
- Jardín Mallinkrodt, Mallinkrodt 170
- Rosa Park, Av. Condell 1732
- Arca Bar, Nueva Costanera 3986
- Holaste! Specialty Coffee, Hermann Eberhard 547
Viña del Mar
- La Concepción, Papudo 541
- La Magnolia Cafetería, 3 Nte. 428
6. Vacation with pets in National Parks
In the main Patagonia National Parks such as Los Glaciares National Park in Argentina and Torres del Paine National Park in Chile, it is strictly forbidden to enter with a pet. This is because these protected areas aim to conserve heritage and nature and the presence of pets is one of the main causes of biodiversity loss.
Pet’s instincts and natural behaviors have a direct and indirect impact on the local fauna and flora. For example, dogs with their bark and smell scare away local fauna sensitive to their presence and by submerging themselves in rivers and lakes, or through their waste, they can enter diseases that affect them. So, only the presence of pets generates stress in those animals that inhabit National Parks.
7. Bonus track tips for vacation with pets
Extra tips to make the best experience traveling with your pet:
- Try not to give them food 8 hours before the trip.
- Put an identification tag on your pet’s collar.
- It is not recommended to sedate your pet.
- Plan a trip with as few stops as possible.
- If you travel by car, every few hours, it is necessary to stop for the dog to walk and relieve himself.
- If you are wondering what to do with your cat while you travel by plane, it’s strongly recommended to choose a non-stop flight and if it’s possible, to pick the window seat!
Ready to plan your journey with your buddy? Contact us and start dreaming about your next adventure together!