Buenos Aires has always been known for its first-class cuisine, thriving arts and nightlife scene, and wealth of culture. Now, add to the list of the city’s many drawing points is its price point! The dynamic capital of Argentina is now more affordable than ever for travelers looking forward to visiting Buenos Aires on a budget trip without skimping on the quality. As prices tend to be more accessible for foreigners visiting the country, especially with the fluctuating currency rate and economic situation in Argentina, visitors have begun to catch on to the world-class hidden gem of Buenos Aires. In addition to the general affordability of the city, there are always insider tips to visit Buenos Aires on a budget, while still enjoying the best the city has to offer.
Buenos Aires on a budget tips
Buenos Aires is bustling day and night and is one of the most affordable large cities in the world. With these budget travel tips, you will be able to enjoy your trip without worrying about the price tag!
1. Historic Building & Fine Arts
Many of the most popular sights in the city are free of charges like the Cathedral, Botanical Garden, and Museum of Fine Arts. Others, like Teatro Colon or the Casa Rosada, have entrance fees or guided tours that generally have one day a week with discounted or waived prices. For example, Wednesdays are half-price general entry and free for students at the outstanding Museum of Latin American Modern Art (MALBA). There are many arts and cultural fairs year-round, with discounted rates for museums and the fine arts. Check out the Noche de Los Museos for a night of free entry into all of the city’s renowned art museums!
- To make sure you get to all of the must-see sights, join a free walking tour of the city, of which there are many. Guides are excellent and you can reward them with a tip at the end of the tour.
There are also city touristic double-decker buses that have hop-on points throughout the city. Public transportation is one of the city’s best assets. Easily get where you need to go by subway or bus, by spending a fraction of other major cities’ public transport prices. Of course, with the city’s distinctly flat terrain, walking around Buenos Aires offers a way to see the intricate architecture and city daily life, and it’s free! For nighttime outings, take one of the abundant taxis that won’t break your wallet.
3. Food & Wine
It is your chance to enjoy a great barbecue and try the iconic Malbec at the best budget-friendly price. Great quality yet affordable dining opportunities in Buenos Aires are plentiful. Many high-scale restaurants have Happy Hours with drink and food specials. Lunch specials, or set menus, are common in most local joints for those working during the week, and you can enjoy these benefits, too!
Head to a local parrilla, or steakhouse, where the best quality steak is served at a fraction of the price in other countries. Do not forget to try empanadas or learn how to prepare them can save you some money also! On the other hand, wine lovers you can’t beat a bottle of Argentine wine, where an excellent bottle will set you back the same as a glass of wine outside of Argentina.
- Of course, some of the cities’ best food is cooked in local homes, so try to score an invite to an asado, filled with authentic Argentine food for a fraction of the cost at a restaurant.
4. Buenos Aires on a budget activities
As we mention, the currency rate is on your side. But we are here to prove Buenos Aires on a budget is possible so let’s see some free or cheap activities to do while visiting Argentina’s capital city:
- Rent a local bike and discover the main neighborhoods of Buenos Aires like La Boca, San Telmo, or Recoleta.
- Stroll around the iconic Florida Street, and simply window shop
- Visit the Bosques de Palermo (Forest of Palermo) and enjoy a beautiful picnic surrounded by green trees, and small ponds
- Have a day trip to Tigre! Catch a train ride from Retiro Central Station to Tigre Station and explore the marvelous lush landscape of the Delta of Parana’s river.
As you can see options are countless, so Buenos Aires on a budget is absolutely possible, it is all up to you now!
Contact Say Hueque Argentina Journeys and start planning your trip to Buenos Aires!